Skip to main content

FROST BITE: CHAPTER 2

             

Whispers.


They could be heard all around me, constantly reminding me of the fact that I do not belong.


Sitting at the edge of the lake I found myself staring at my reflection, blue eyes, pale skin and pure white hair that was contrast to my tribes people who had black hair and darker skin coupled with emerald green eyes. It made me look like an alien freak while standing next to them.


I could feel the wind getting stronger and the touch of it made my body shudder and my sensitive cheeks turn pink. I move my hand above the water and small waves start forming where my hands pass caressing my fingers. Although it was uncomfortable staying there was better than going back to the village and getting stared at like an injured animal that they have no intention of helping.


I've lived with them for more than ten years, don't they get tired of slowly driving me to suicide.


"Circe! Circe!"


Aloud childish voice sounded across the lake attracting the attention of those around. I turned and spotted a three-year-old boy waving at me. He is one of my uncle's sons, the third one to be more precise, and one of the few who didn't hate me but I think it's because he hasn't learnt why he should hate me I bet if he did he would be like the rest.


"What is it Teiga?"


"My father is calling for you, he asked you to hurry up,"


That's weird although my uncle doesn't hate me, he doesn't love me either infact he avoids me like a plague so why would he call me?


"Get up Circe, I saw a noble man with him probably why he wants us to hurry,"


"A noble man?"


"Yeah a well-dressed, arrogant-


"I know who a noble man is, do you know what he wants?"


"No I didn't hear, he just arrived and they went to my father's office they talked for a while then my father sent me to look for you,"


I already had an idea what this was about.


"Let's go then,"


I saw pulling him up on my back and running with him causing him to laugh. I saw the looks of disapproval from the people around but I chose to ignore them. I ran fast and about five minutes later I spotted the village entrance I placed Teigo on the ground, holding his hand we walk towards my uncle's office which was located near the village entrance. 


I knock twice at the door and after a few seconds it swings open and a guard at the door lets us in to the room made of enchanted wood and monster hide, it had a scent of nature which was unique to my tribe, another reason I was different they could control nature and could understand it and I could control water and talk to spiritual beasts but nobody knows that cause it's shameful that I'm different, and the only power that could be the same as my clans is talking to low level beasts. 


"Uncle,"


I say as I bow showing respect the chief.


He nods then gestures for me to get up, that's when I look beside him and spot a golden haired man dressed in imperial clothing. He must be a member of the royal family.


"You may leave now Teiga,"


"Yes father," he says his childish voice carrying a touch of grievances.


"Circe, this is the duke of Rafion Caspian Iorwerth,"


"Your grace," I bow and he nods with a smile.


I look at my uncle with inquiring eyes and he avoids my gaze, normally I wouldn't mind but there was something in his eyes this time, guilt?


"There was a decree from the emperor a year ago, I know you remember," not only do I remember, it gave me nightmares, "You had been chosen to be the crown prince's consort. You are required to move to court in order to receive official training to do your duties."


I'd say I had previously thought of many ways he would get rid of me but this hadn't one of them. Ever since my brother Eliphas left me to him when I was ten years old he's seen me as an extra load he's carrying. Although he's getting rid of me it's not bad at least I'll leave this retched place. 


Since it was an imperial decree I had no right to refuse 


"When do I need to leave?


"We'll leave at dusk no need to worry about clothing you'll be assigned new clothes at the palace," this time it's the duke who said it.


"You may go prepare yourself now Circe I need to talk to the duke,"


I bow the turn to leave.


I immediately get ambushed by a small body when I get out.


"What did they tell you tell me! Tell me,"


I smile and rub his head softly the I hear the sound f the assembly horn blowing.


"It's a surprise you'll find out at the assembly,"


"But-


"Ah ah be patient,"


I leave him there and walk to my room to pick up the only object that I own personally. A head piece given by my brother. I place it on my hand and tie it there before leaving for the assembly. On my way I saw two carriages packed one after the other, only then did I realize that although he made it sound far, it was only an hour till dusk. 


I walked towards the assembly point and everybody was looking at me. I guess they had already been told. I turn towards the duke and he looked a little surprised. I know it looked like I was dying to leave, which I was, but still, can you blame me?


He gestured for to one of the guards near carriage and the door was opened, I walk to where my uncle and his family and give a bow, I look at Teiga and he's looking at me with red eyes not saying a word, probably threatened by his father not to do anything stupid. I rub his head with a smile.


"You are sixteen and nearly an adult Circe this will be good for you," yeah and also very prosperous for the tribe, it was my aunt speaking and I could hear the underlying warning that states not to mess up.


"Yes you are right Auntie," I say and she gives me a hug seeming like the nice mother figure she wasn't standing beside praiseworthily stupid husband who was also smiling. A bunch of hypocrites 


I walk to the open carriage and sat down and it was immediately closed. I noticed that together with me were some two other people. Who were staring at me intensely.


The carriage starded moving after a while but the two still stared at me. 


"Uhm wont the duke join us?" I know it was a stupid question I needed something to stop them from staring at me.


"You expect a duke to sit with a commoner like you? Where is your logic? Are all savages this stupid?"


Whoa I just asked a question she doesn't have to talk to me like that.


"Ananke behave, I'm sorry for her rudeness she's just irritated lately. I'm Ruda, she's Ananke we were assigned as your personal servants,"


So one is plain hostile while the other is pretending to be nice to me. Good to know.


Years of being pranked in the village taught me to differentiate between good and bad people and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the people in front me pulled a knife and stabbed me. But why do they hate me I don't even know them?


"Nice to know you I hope we work well together," I say with a smile.


"Troublesome," Ananke states then looks outside which made my smile almost crack.


"Ananke," Ruda says with a warning tone.


"What its true," 


Well if you didn't want the job why did you accept it?


"Don't mind her, have you been told about the academy?" Ruda asks


"what academy?"


"Imre, we will be accompanying you there to learn royal etiquette and combat magic,"


"I thought I'd study in the castle,"


"No you have to go to the academy, something about tradition and all the kings and queens having gone there,"


"so now ae we going to the castle or the academy?"


"Since it's a school that consists of mostly nobles and talented individuals the school is located on the castle grounds for maximum security,"


"oh that's good,"


I say as I also turn to look outside at the trees that are seemingly moving.

PREVIOUS


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LONGEVITY- Chapter 1- Longevity is so simple (Part 1)

  1. Longevity is so simple The mainland of Kyushu is vast and rich in resources. It is mainly divided into five states: East, West, South, North, and Central. It is further subdivided into four small states: Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, and Southwest. Human races and monks live together, and there are a few monster races in it.  This is the world Gu Changsheng currently lives in.  When Changsheng first came here, because the aura in his body was inconsistent with his soul, he could not speak, hear, and see. He could only feel the cold and hot of the outside world on his skin, so he did not lose contact with the outside world.    Changsheng remembers his previous life. In his last life, he was only a senior in high school. During his graduation trip, the tour bus was involved in a serial car accident on the highway. He became dizzy the next thing he knew he was born and became a new member of the mainland of Kyushu.    And he was living a little... well...    Changsheng is optimist

LONGEVITY- Chapter 1- Longevity is so simple (Part 2)

  Chufeng City.  He almost tipped over again when his boat buzzed.  When he heard the sound of laughter from outside, he rubbed his eyes and opened the small window to look out, using his consciousness to search, he saw two balls of spiritual energy surrounding  two people, and one of them shouted to him:  "No one is allowed to fly through the city of Chufeng on a boat or in a magic vessel.”  Chufeng City was very large, and it is the most prosperous city in Nanzhou. There are all kinds of cultivators coming and going at the gate of the city, some are well-dressed, some were immortal, and some are in tatters and patches.  A few people also glanced at him. If Changsheng could see them, he would definitely see the teasing in their eyes: Look, it's another fledgling kid who doesn't know the rules and wanders out!  It's just that Changsheng's eyes were not good, and his spiritual consciousness could only see a blurry image. What he sees when he looks at something, depe

LONGEVITY- Chapter 2- Boss, you are only fifteen years old

  Xiao niao(little bird) took Changsheng to find an inn.   Chufeng deserves to be the largest city in the southern state. It is located at the foot of Lingtian Mountain where there is a high-grade spiritual vein passing beneath it. It is also the place where Lingtian Sect is located and it was one of the largest sects in the southern state. Taking advantage of time and space, the cultivators here can still get their spiritual energy into their bodies even if they lie down to sleep and do not practice.  Xiao niao chirped and quacked in Changsheng's ear, saying whatever came to mind, and Changsheng listened with relish.  When they entered the inn, the inn was also very people-oriented, ordinary people were not allowed to stay, nor were low level cultivators. The owner of the inn came up and glanced at Changsheng without any trace. Before Changsheng could speak, the bird spit out a piece of top-quality spirit stone from its mouth: "Give us a place to stay, It doesn't matter i